Process industry contributes significantly to the world economy. Yet, it is highly energy intensive and consumes massive amount of energy, especially fossil fuels, which leads to high energy costs and huge environmentally unfriendly emissions, including CO2 and gaseous pollutants. If these issues are to be addressed through integrated energy systems, considerable time and costs for the transition to carbon neutrality will be reduced by integrating multi-energy carriers, intelligentizing the energy management, and decarbonizing the energy supply.
To advance in this area, we will produce a special issue with the theme, “Integrated Energy Systems in Process Industry” to capture the significant impacts of the integrated energy systems on energy supply, efficiency and markets, the industrial processes, the environment and climate change. The issue will also be a repository of the contributions of energy science, technology and policy in the transition to carbon neutrality. This special issue is designed as a platform for sharing theoretical, experimental and numerical original research works as well as review articles on the state-of-the-art energy system integration.
The target audience include academia, project developers, financiers, suppliers, end-users, policy decision-makers, even the public, and aggregators.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Efficient integration of multi-energy carriers in process industry
- Smart management and control of energy flows in process industry
- Innovations for renewable energy integration in process industry
- Modelling, simulation, optimization, and control of industrial energy systems
- Efficient energy conversion, utilization and waste heat recovery
- Climate change mitigation of process industry: technologies, applications and policies
- Sustainable and economic assessment of energy-saving and carbon reduction technologies
- Interaction of multi-vector energy systems and energy storage in process industry
- Material-energy-emission nexus of process industry
- Circular economy and symbiosis of industrial clusters
- Energy trading technologies and models in process industry
- Nexus of process industry and other industrial sectors
Submission Format and Guideline :
This Special Issue solicits both original research and review studies related to novel investigations of integrated energy systems in process industry. All submitted papers must be clearly written in excellent English and contain only original work, which has not been published by or is currently under review for any other journals or conferences. Papers must not exceed 25 pages (one-column, at least 11pt fonts) including figures, tables, and references. A detailed submission guideline is available as “Guide to Authors” at:
All manuscripts and any supplementary material should be submitted through Elsevier Editorial System (EM): http://ees.elsevier.com/apen/default.asp.
Authors must select “VSI: IES in Process Industry” when they reach the “Article Type” step in the submission process.
- First submission date: April 15th, 2021
- Paper submission deadline: September 1st, 2021
- Final decision notification: November 30th, 2021