The University Council has established several Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships across all faculties which may be awarded for one year with the possibility of renewal.
The Fellowships are intended to foster existing research and scholarly or creative activities within Rhodes University departments and institutes. Ideally, a Fellow’s proposed work will closely complement existing programs in the host department.
- Although there is no age restriction, potential Fellows must hold a doctoral degree.
- The doctoral degree should have been awarded within the last five years, preferably from an institution other than Rhodes University and recognized as appropriate to the discipline for which the Fellowship is sought.
- Successful candidates must be of exceptional merit as evidenced by the quality and corpus of publications or other recognized forms of achievement relevant to the Fellow’s discipline.
- An applicant who has not completed his/her Ph.D. at the time the Fellowship is offered must have submitted the Ph.D. thesis by the end of 2020. In these circumstances, the Research Office will require written assurance from the applicant’s supervisor that there is a reasonable expectation that the doctoral degree will be awarded.
- Applications should be made through Heads of Departments or Directors of Research Institutes.
Note: The Fellowship will be awarded strictly on merit.
Value of the Fellowship
Each Fellowship is a package of R180 000 (Sount Indian Rand R180000 is INR 8,58, 210) per annum with an additional allocation of a maximum of R20 000 (INR 95,356) to be used to support the presentation of papers at formal conferences. The Fellowship cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.
Conditions of Award
The University expects that all publications, creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will bear appropriate acknowledgement with full affiliation to Rhodes University. The University reserves the right to co-ownership of inventions and/or patents directly emanating from research conducted under the sponsorship of the Fellowship.
The University reserves the right to request the refund of any fellowship paid to the Fellow should the Fellow terminate his/her contract prior to its completion.
How to Apply?
- Applications for the Fellowships should be made through the potential host department and then directed to the Research Office (research-admin[at]ru.ac.za).
- The determination of awards will be made by a committee comprising the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Development (Chair), the Director: Research Office and Faculty Deans.
- The committee is not bound to award any or all of the Fellowships in any one year.
Click here for the official website of the Rhodes Fellowship.
July 31, 2021