About the Institute of Law, Nirma University
The Institute of Law, Nirma University (ILNU) is a constituent institute of Nirma University located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It was founded in 2007 on the vision of Padmashri Dr Karsanbhai K Patel.
About the Centre for Social Justice
The Centre for Social Justice is a research centre at the Institute of Law, Nirma University. The Centre engages with discourses in pressing social dilemmas and their interface with law.
The Centre works with the aim to promote causes of social justice through rigorous research, collaborations and exchange of knowledge.
About the Essay Competition
The Centre is organising its first essay writing competition on the topic, ‘Elimination of Barriers to the Exercise of Right to Vote‘.
The right to vote in elections is one of the prime ways of participating in the democratic government. It ensures that the government of the day undergoes periodic assessment, and the people exercise their right to elect their representatives. The mere promise of right, however, is not sufficient for ensuring its meaningful exercise by the citizens.
The right to vote is a statutory right, however, the exercise of the right has been held by the Supreme Court to be a fundamental right protected under Article 19(1)(a) of the Constitution.
In the essay, the participants are expected to explore the barriers that may abridge one’s exercise of the right to vote and to suggest methods through which such barriers may be overcome.
Students who are presently enrolled in and pursuing a UG (Bachelor) or Master’s Degree at any University/College in India may
participate in the competition.
Ineligibility: Members of the Centre for Social Justice, ILNU are not eligible to participate in the competition.
- NiiThe Essay shall be written in the English language.
- References shall be provided in the essay in the form of endnotes.
- The word limit of the essay should be between 1800 – 2500 words excluding the
- The following formatting shall be used for the essay:
- Font: Times New Roman
- Font Size: 12 for text; 14 for headings
- Line Spacing: 1.5
- Alignment: Justified
- Co-authorship is allowed to the maximum extent of only two authors.
- Your submission must be an original and unpublished work. The submission shall be subject to plagiarism test.
- The submissions made shall include the manuscript and a separate cover letter.
- The cover letter shall contain: Name, Institution, Course, and Year of Study.The details mentioned in the cover letter shall not be included anywhere in the manuscript.
- The submissions shall be made on or before November 26, 2021, 11:59 PM, by mailing the manuscript and the cover letter to email@example.com with the subject: “Submission for Essay Competition, 2021”.
- Late submissions shall not be accepted.
- First Prize: Rs. 4000/-
- Second Prize: Rs. 3000/-
- Third Prize: Rs. 2000/-