- Each Member of Parliament (MP) in India represents over two million constituents. The Indian Parliament passes an average of 60 Bills every year. MPs make laws and address complex policy issues across various sectors. Given the diversity of issues and the technical nature of many of them, it is not possible for MPs to be well versed on all such issues.
- In this context, PRS provides MPs analysis on legislation and policy to help them prepare for parliamentary debates.
- PRS offers rolling internships throughout the year.
- The PRS staff consists of a team of dedicated professionals with different areas of expertise and is broadly divided into the research and outreach departments.
- While the research team analyses legislative and policy issues of topical interest, the outreach team tracks the working of the legislatures and legislators, manages citizen engagement, and is PRS’s interface with the MPs and MLAs.
- A prospective intern can apply for an internship in either/both departments.
Please Note: PRS Legislative is currently only accepting applications for June 2022. This is an offline internship.
The internship varies from session to non-session time.
- During a Parliament session, PRS’s work is guided by the issues taken up in Parliament, and interns are expected to work with the analysts on any projects.
- During non-session periods, the interests of the individual intern are taken into consideration, and he/she is matched with an analyst(s) doing related work.
The successful completion of a PRS internship requires the intern to pursue and complete an internship project. The intern will be assisting analysts in their research and undertaking an internship project.
Tenure of Engagement
The internship duration is flexible but is normally between 4 and 8 weeks.
Physical (In-office); Interns will have to report to the office.
Roles to cater to
In addition to a deep interest in the working of Parliament and the legislative process in India, an intern should have:
- Strong writing skills
- Strong analytical skills
Please note that no accommodation or remuneration is provided. This is strictly an unpaid internship.
Interested persons can fill in the application form. The form has to be filled out in one session, and there is no option of saving responses.
PRS is only accepting applications for internships starting June 2022.
Important Note: For the internship in the month of May, apply latest by May 15.
You are expected to:
- write a short statement of purpose (not more than 500 words).
- upload an up-to-date resume in PDF format.
- upload a writing sample on any policy issue (not more than 1000 words) in PDF format.
Relevant Links and Contacts
- Further Details
- Applying to the position
- For further clarity one may reach out to email@example.com.
Address of the office:
PRS Legislative Research 3rd Floor, Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, 212, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg, New Delhi – 110002