The University offers the PhD Degree Programme in the following disciplines: (1) Law, (2) Interdisciplinary Research with Law in the disciplines of Management, Social Work, Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Physics, and Botany.
- Law (06)
- Interdisciplinary Research with Law
- Management/Allied Areas (05)
- Social Work (02)
- Sociology/Allied Areas (01)
- Political Science (01)
- Economics/Allied Areas (10)
- Physics/Allied Areas (07)
- Botany/Allied Areas (01)
- Candidates for admission to the PhD programme shall have a Master’s degree or a professional degree declared equivalent to the Master’s degree with at least 55% marks in aggregate.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50% or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/Differently-Abled and other categories of candidates as per the decision of the Commission from time to time, or for those who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September, 1991.
- Candidates possessing a Degree considered equivalent to M.Phil. Degree of an Indian Institution, from a Foreign Educational Institution.
- The applicants who have cleared the entrance test with 50% score as qualifying marks are required to do a presentation on the preliminary research proposal with a statement of the research problem and a literature survey which demonstrates that the research topic is unexplored and an original scholarly contribution can be made on the same.
- Law: Full Time only
- Interdisciplinary Research with Law: Full time/ Part Time
- A full time scholar has to attend the University regularly and will be subject to the prescribed attendance rules of the University.
- Professionally employed personnel may be allowed to pursue PhD on part-time bases. Such candidates are required to submit a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from their parent organization/department/employer stating that he/she is permitted to pursue studies on a part-time basis and that his/her duties permit him/her to devote sufficient time for research. Part Time Scholars will have to attend the classes for assigned coursework as per the rules of the University/UGC.
- It is desirable that the applicants, who possess minimum prescribed qualifications for admission to PhD Programme, should have an excellent academic/professional track record in the relevant discipline.
- The applicant for part-time PhD should:
- Prove to the satisfaction of DRC that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research.
- Ensure that facilities for pursuing research are available at his place of work in the chosen field of research, where required.
Tenure of Engagement
- PhD programme shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work and a maximum of six years.
- Extension beyond the above limits will be governed by the relevant clauses as stipulated in the Statute/Ordinance of the University.
- The women candidates and Persons with Disability (more than 40% disability) may be allowed a relaxation of two years for PhD in the maximum duration. In addition, the women candidates may be provided Maternity Leave/Child Care Leave once in the entire duration of PhD programme for up to 240 days.
- Registered Full-time and Part-time PhD candidates shall undertake course work of one semester in the University within one year from the date of provisional registration, failing which his/her registration shall be cancelled.
- The credit assigned to the PhD course work shall be a minimum of 08 credits and a maximum of 16 credits.
- The course work shall be treated as a prerequisite for PhD preparation.
- Additionally, the Research Advisory Committee may prescribe the course(s) to the research scholar.
- A PhD scholar has to obtain a minimum of 55% of marks or its equivalent grade in the UGC 7-point scale (or an equivalent grade/CGPA in a point scale) in the course work in order to be eligible to continue in the programme and submit the dissertation/thesis.
Selection Process, Date of Written Examination and Presentation
- Selection process will be conducted and the process shall consist of:
- Admission Test
- Presentation of the proposed research before the Departmental Research Committee (DRC)
- The detailed admission process will be as follows:
- GNLU PhD Admission Test (GPAT-2022)
- Declaration of Admission Test Result
- Presentation to DRC
- Final declaration of Provisional Selection List for Admission to PhD Degree Programme
Format of Admission Test & Fee Structure
View the official notification given at the end of this post to learn more.
Admission Form and Fees
The candidates who are interested in seeking admission to PhD Programme can apply directly by
filling out the online admission form linked at the end of this post and paying the Application fee of INR 4,000/- (non-refundable)
- Last date for filling out the online application form : June 05, 2022 (Sunday)
- Last date of receipt of application forms (in hard copy) : June 08, 2022 (Wednesday)
- Date of examination (online) : June 11, 2022 (Saturday)
- Date of research proposal presentation (offline) : 1st Week of July*
Relevant Link and Contact