About the Kachwaha & Partners
Kachwaha & Partners is a full-service law firm, with offices in Delhi and Mumbai (Bombay) and associate lawyers in most major cities of India. The main office of the firm is in New Delhi, conveniently located next to the diplomatic mission area. It is easily accessible from all parts of Delhi as well as its suburbs.
About the Essay Competition
Kachwaha and Partners are organizing ‘Arb Excel’- All India Article Writing Competition on Arbitration Jurisprudence for law students.
To stimulate interest and foster growth of arbitration jurisprudence, Kachwaha and Partners initiated an All India article writing competition on the subject of arbitrations (Arb Excel) in 2011-12. Following the healthy response, the event was made an annual feature.
- The Competition is open for the 3rd, 4th and 5th year students in the five year law course and the 2nd and final year students in the three year law course.
- Note: It is not open to LL.M students
- There is no prescribed theme/topic. The participants are free to choose a topic so long it is in the field of arbitration.
- Commencement of submission: October 1, 2021
- Last date for submission: January 31, 2022
- Declaration of results: May 2, 2022
- 1st prize: Rs. 1 lakh
- 2nd prize: Rs. 75,000/-
- 3rd prize: Rs. 50,000/-
- Finalists: 3 prizes of Rs. 10,000/- and a book prize worth Rs. 10,000/- each.
- Honourable mentions: 3 prizes of Rs. 10,000/- each.
The prize money will be net of withholding tax (currently 30%) and any other indirect taxes as may be applicable.
There are no registration fees and registration is automatic at the time of receipt of the article as per the Rules.
- All submissions should be made in an electronic form at [email protected]
- The participants are required to submit two separate attachments. Attachment 1 should contain the following documents:
- Proof of author having met the eligibility criteria in Para I above (e.g. college identity card; certificate from the Head of Institute).
- Self-declaration by the participant that the work submitted is original in all respects.
- Self-certificate that the work has not yet been published or otherwise put in the public domain.
- The article should be submitted as Attachment 2 in a word format along with the following documents in the sequence mentioned below:
- Page 1 – title page
- Page 2 – short extract / summary of the article
- The title page should have the following details:
- Article title
- Author’s name and contact particulars
- College name and address
- Email id for future correspondence
- The summary / short extract should not exceed 250 words (which would not be counted in the word limit for main article).
- The co-ordinator will within five working days acknowledge receipt of the article. If you do not receive an acknowledgment, please contact the co-ordinator.
Word Limit and Formatting
- Article length should be between 3500 – 4500 words (excluding footnotes).
- The article should be submitted in word format only.
- The article and extract should be written in 12 pt calibre font with 1 inch margin on all sides, 1.5 paragraph spacing and a footer numbering pages as “page x of y”.
- Footnotes should be on the same page. Authors should not use supra, infra, ibid and should give full reference of the citation/ authority/ reference etc. wherever applicable.
- Avoid extensive footnotes or extensive quotations. Reference or paraphrasing of thoughts and ideas from standard works are acceptable without quotations, provided they are duly acknowledged in footnotes or otherwise as may be suitable.
- Each article must reflect author’s own research, writing and original thinking.
- Articles will be evaluated on the basis of original thinking, grasp of the subject, writing skills and choice of topic. The articles will be judged by the partners of the firm.
- Any copyright infringement / plagiarism shall result in automatic disqualification. The firm reserves the right to recall any prize if it is discovered later that the article suffered from any copyright infringement/plagiarism. Please do make full disclosure if the article is largely a result of a project in which the author was involved with the others.
- All rights including copyright will vest with the author. The firm will not publish any entry for public viewing but may publish a summary of the prize winning entries on their website.
- Each participant can submit one article only.
- Joint submission and co-authorship is not acceptable.
- The firm will preserve the entries for six months and may delete the same thereafter.
- The decision of the firm shall be final and binding on all participants.
- Participants are deemed to have read and fully understood all terms and conditions at the time of submission of entry.
- The queries, if any, must be sent latest by November 19, 2021. Queries sent thereafter will not be entertained by the Co-ordinators.
- Queries can be addressed to the Program Co-ordinator, Ms. Ankit Khushu at [email protected]
Announcement of Results
The firm will issue a Press Release in relation to the prize-winning entries and will also post the results on its website. The firm will inform the respective institutions of the winners.
The firm would welcome any feedback (positive or negative) or any thoughts on this competition (before or after the event) including structuring, timings, rules, regulations etc. at [email protected].