The National Law University Delhi („University‟), through its Centre for Innovation, IP and Competition (CIIPC), is seeking to engage a Research Fellow for an interdisciplinary research project titled “Algorithmic Bias and the Law: An exploratory investigation in the Indian context”.
The project has been funded under the NLUD-IITD Collaborative Project Proposal Scheme.
CIIPC has been established at NLU Delhi with the aim of supporting academic and policy-oriented dialogues in the areas of innovation, IP and competition. CIIPC focuses on interdisciplinary legal research in the areas of innovation, IP, and competition, particularly using the law and economics approach. The Centre aims to discuss contemporary issues of fundamental and empirical nature, conduct legal and policy training in innovation, IP and competition and build a network of scholars in these areas.
About the project:
A key area of concern among policy scholars studying the intersection of technology and society is the exacerbation of societal inequities via algorithms. While the majority of research has focused on systemic contexts, there is a critical need for exploring this challenge within the legal realm as we see the adoption of algorithms in many areas of decision making, including the working of the justice delivery system. This project aims to develop a framework for analysis of potential algorithmic bias with a specific lens on legal applications within the Indian context.
● Developing a conceptual framework on sources of algorithmic bias in the legal realm through extensive analysis of literature in multiple disciplines including computer science, law and public policy.
● Contextualization of the algorithmic bias related issues from an Indian perspective via expert elicitation, stakeholder interviews and case studies.
● Running a pilot survey to measure public attitudes on the use of algorithms for legal applications.
● Dr Arul George Scaria, Associate Professor, Law, NLU Delhi
● Dr Nandana Sengupta, Assistant Professor, School of Public Policy, IIT Delhi
Role of Research Fellow
● Extensive interdisciplinary literature review
● Survey Design
● Writing and editing of research papers, reports, policy responses, and other publications.
● Strong quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills
● Prior experience in reading academic papers with quantitative components
● Prior experience with academic writing and communication skills
● Demonstrated prior interest in social science or policy questions
▪ Undergraduate/ post graduate degree in Engineering or Science;
▪ Undergraduate/ post graduate degree in Law;
▪ Minimum 2 years of work experience in software or hardware related issues; and
▪ Strong research, writing, and communication skills.
The selected Research Fellow shall receive a consolidated monthly salary of Rs. 50,000/- (Fifty Thousand Rupees only).
Duration of the Contract
The appointment shall be for 9 months and any subsequent renewal is contingent on the further
requirements of the project as well as an analysis of the performance of the candidate.
Interested applicants may send the following information and materials to careers[at]ciipc.org with a cc to aditi[at]ciipc.org latest by March 26, 2022:
▪ Curriculum Vitae
▪ A brief statement of motivation in applying for this position (maximum 750 words)
▪ A short note (not more than 750 words) on challenges in defining algorithmic bias.
▪ One academic writing sample of at least 1000 words (published or unpublished).
▪ Names and contact details of two professional referees who may be contacted for references.
The subject of the e-mail should be “Application for Research Fellow – Algorithmic Bias and the Law”.
▪ National Law University Delhi is an equal opportunity employer.
▪ National Law University Delhi reserves the right to conduct telephonic or video interviews.
▪ National Law University Delhi reserves the right not to fill these positions.
▪ Any queries regarding the position may be addressed to arul.scaria(at)nludelhi.ac.in.
For Official Notification, Click Here