Deadline: 20 July 2022
ISDAO is an activist fund dedicated to building a West African movement that advocates for sexual diversity and sexual rights through a flexible approach to grantmaking and the strengthening of a culture of philanthropy committed to promoting human rights and social justice. ISDAO’s vision is a just and inclusive West Africa, free from all forms of violence and discrimination.
Under supervision of the Director of Communications and Knowledge Management, the Love Alliance Communications Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the Love Alliance communications working group, and managing the Love Alliance brand, working within Love Alliance communications framework and policies. The Communications Coordinator will be based within ISDAO, will contribute to organization’s work and will be a part of the ISDAO team. However their primary tasks will be in support of the Love Alliance.
Love Alliance is an initiative developed and implemented by a bold consortium of organisations with collective experience in advocacy, international partnership management, participatory grantmaking, leadership, movement building and capacity building. A five-year programme (2021-2025), Love Alliance is built on an unwavering commitment to the protection, promotion and realisation of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) globally, the unification of people who use drugs, sex workers and the LGBTIQ+ movements, and the amplification of the diversity of voices in these communities. It is funded by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Location: GMT -/+ 3 hours (Remote work, based in one of the countries of the continent and/or in the diaspora)
Reports to: Director of Communications and Knowledge Management
Salary range: $50,000 – $55,000 per year gross annual salary – Remuneration is subject to a 20% withholding tax to the Kenyan government.
Expected start date: Mid-September 2022
ISDAO identifies itself as a feminist institution, an activist-led fund and a participatory grantmaker. ISDAO is committed to building ideologically based movements for sexual and gender diversity in West Africa. ISDAO is also committed to the values of autonomy, inclusivity, diversity and intersectionality.
The Communications Coordinator must be an ambassador for these values and principles and is expected to reflect this in his/her daily work. The Communications Coordinator must be able to communicate and work in both French and English, and also plays a key role in ensuring that linguistic inclusion is reflected in the communications produced by the Love Alliance.
Primary responsibilities of the position but not limited to:
Coordination and development of Love Alliance Communications activities
- Serve as co-lead of the Communications Working Group and co-coordinate the group with all alliance partners and working group members.
- Organise monthly working group meetings in collaboration with working group members.
- Co-coordinate the compilation of data and write the Love Alliance internal newsletter.
- Provide technical communications assistance to Alliance partners as needed.
- Coordinate and curate the storytelling around the Love Alliance and the work being done by the alliance partners and granteesLove Alliance-supported grantee partners.
- Serve as custodian of the Love Alliance brand, ensuring that all communications and materials produced are in line with the branding guidelines.
- Manage, coordinate and monitor the annual budget and work plan of the Love Alliance Communications Working Group, as well as other duties assigned by the Board.
- In partnership and coordination with other members of the Communications and Knowledge Management team, manage Support the facilitation of ISDAO’s social media accounts and ISDAO’s engagement on social media platforms to update and communicate about ISDAO’s work, and to foster engagement around ISDAO’s work and events and relevant issues within the Love Alliance.
- Coordinate online campaigns involving Love Alliance targets and partners. For example: World AIDS Day, International Day of Sex Workers, etc.
- Serve as the liaison between the Love Alliance administrative lead, the Board and the Communications Working Group.
- Maintain communications and feedback to and between Communications Working Group and other working groups and structures within the Love Alliance (especially the Advocacy Working Group).
- Write and edit presentations, reports, articles, stories, talking points, press releases, etc. to be produced for the Love Alliance.
- Provide communications support to the ISDAO team, the Love Alliance partners and grantee partners, including editing, writing and proofreading of external communications (e.g. presentations, articles, stories, talking points, press releases, etc.) as required.
- Develop capacity building and communication guidelines to the ISDAO team, the Love Alliance partners and the Love Alliance-funded partners.
- Serve as the principal content manager and graphic designer to edit, update, and upgrade content and design for ISDAO’s Love Alliance-related communications, including the website, social media, print publications, and audio-visual content.
- Support the commissioning, repackaging and dissemination of key communications products (including annual reports, brochures, fact sheets, etc.) for a range of audiences, primarily for the Love Alliance and for ISDAO, as needed.
- Ensure that the principles and values of linguistic justice are embedded throughout the organization and guides the communications and knowledge management work within the Love Alliance Communications Working Group.
- Establish and cultivate a directory of graphic designers, web designers, computer graphic designers, photographers, videographers and other communication resources.
- Produce original online content (videos, infographics, photos, etc.) that engages audiences while remaining aligned with the values and principles of ISDAO and the Love Alliance.
- Organise virtual events, such as webinars, online discussions (Facebook Live, IG Tv, etc.) on behalf of the Love Alliance.
Implementation of strategies
- Contribute to the implementation of the ISDAO communications strategy and framework, in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Knowledge Management and the Communication Officer.
- Contribute to the implementation of key Love Alliance strategies, including the Global Advocacy Strategy.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures and guidelines for public relations for ISDAO and the Love Alliance.
- Contribution to ISDAO’s Communications and Knowledge Management work.
Required Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years of experience in communications roles related to one or more of the following areas: LGBTQI activism, sex worker organizing, people who use drugs (PWUD) organizing, women’s rights, gender, sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), and/or philanthropy in Africa; experience in at least two West African countries is an advantage.
- Have a graduate level education in a relevant field, such as communications, public affairs, journalism, social marketing, and/or other related field.
- Demonstrated understanding of the rights of LGBTQI people, sex workers, people who use drugs, women’s rights, feminism and advocacy and activism related to these issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the donor/philanthropic environment around sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), the rights of LGBTQ people, sex workers, people who use drugs, and/or women’s rights or the development sector;
- Have proven experience in the design and implementation of successful communication initiatives and campaigns;
- Have proven writing and editing skills, including for digital storytelling ;
- Have experience using websites, social media platforms and social media management tools (e.g. Tweetdeck, Hootsuite);
- Have a flexible and adaptable approach and be able to respond to changing priorities and a rapidly evolving environment;
- Be a critical thinker, an innovator, and a learner in a rapidly changing and evolving environment;
- Ability to contribute effectively to teamwork;
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in both French and English
- Ability to work well independently, as part of a remote and distributed team
- Be based/resident in an African country or be a part of the African diaspora and resident in a country that is in the GMT/UTC time zone or GMT +/- 3 hours.
- Have skills and experience in graphic and website design; mastery of design and video editing tools (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Canva)
- Experience working remotely or with a team located in different countries.
- Priority will be given to candidates who are based in and/or are from: ISDAO focal countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo) or Love Alliance focal countries (Burkina Faso, Burundi, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Uganda, South Africa, Zimbabwe)
- Be able to travel internationally regularly, including in ISDAO focal countries and Love Alliance focal countries.
Click here for more information