PLEASE NOTE: This will be an international position, based in New Delhi, India, and employed by Harvard Global Services India LLP — an affiliate of Harvard University or by another affiliate of Harvard University.
The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health (HSPH), a global leader in public health research and education, is looking to hire a Senior Project Coordinator for Project SANCHAR at its India Research Center. The overarching mission of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is to advance the public’s health through learning, discovery, and communication. The India Research Center (IRC) has three foci: Research, Training, and Translation and Communication. The IRC, established with support from extraordinary public health leaders in India, is housed in Lower Parel, Mumbai.
SANCHAR, or Science and News: Communicating Health And Research, was conceptualized and implemented in 2018 to build capacity to translate evidence from research settings to public and policy arenas. Over the last four years, SANCHAR has conducted trainings and created resources for media professionals to leverage scientific evidence for reporting on health, and to build capacity among decision makers to draw on evidence in public health to promote strategic communications in their work.
The Program Manager will be responsible for research, capacity building, and translation and communication activities of the Harvard IRC located in Delhi, India and operated through Harvard Global Services India – LLP. The candidate will work closely with and report directly to the Faculty Director of IRC and the Program Manager of SANCHAR in Boston. They will work as a liaison between project SANCHAR and the Government of India, particularly the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), and other allied Ministries and offices. They will liase with the senior officials of the Ministry to explore their training needs, policy and communication plans, and develop plans to work with them on future strategic communication efforts.
1. Support Project SANCHAR in its mission of building capacity and translating research to inform evidence-based policy communication: this will entail understanding, summarizing and supporting the concept of strategic communication; and working with the government, civil society partners, and donors to promote strategic communication and policies.
2. Institutionalizing Project SANCHAR: Work closely with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and allied ministries to understand, assess and develop plans for policy supports. This would include:
- Identifying New Areas for Collaboration: Work closely with senior officers, policymakers, government officials and journalist training institutes to gauge policy windows for collaboration. Guide and support the team in exploring opportunities of collaboration with relevant departments.
- Furthering new policy research dialogues: Frequent in-person interface with central and state departments, to fast-track the policy-research-capacity building discussions we plan to have in the coming year.
3. Project Coordination/ Management: Act as a liaison between PI and ministry staff. Monitor and provide administrative support for field activities. Provide logistical and administrative support to PI’s visits to India. Assist in the preparation and dissemination of activity reports. Manage communication with project partners, funders and key stakeholders.
4. Performs other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term appointment of December 31, 2023 with no possibility of extension.
PLEASE NOTE: The interview process for this position will take place virtually. This position is primarily on-site and this will be based in Delhi, India. Additional details will be discussed during the interview process.
- Master’s Degree required
- 5+ years of relevant experience in addition is required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
- Master’s Degree in related field such as public health, or public policy preferred
- Candidates who have experience collaborating with central and state government agencies are essential for the role
- Communication: Strong interpersonal communication skills. Excellent writing and presentation skills for communicating lessons from technical to non-technical audience. This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing, and creativity in presentation.
- Experience in effectively handling several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines.
- Work well without close supervision.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and task prioritization skills.
- Work closely with multiple team members simultaneously and across US and India time zones, and in a collaborative manner.
- Language: Fluency in English (written and oral), Hindi (strongly preferred).
The following cultural competencies are also preferred:
- Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
- Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
- Experience fostering and reinforcing an environment that values unique experiences, cultures, backgrounds, and goals
Harvard Global Research Support Centre India offers a Benefits Package that includes life, medical, and accident insurance.
The candidate should be able to work closely with team members across US and India time zones- this can include working in the evening. Some travel maybe involved to conduct workshops and consult with stakeholders.
Department- Harvard Global/Social and Behavioral Sciences
Time Status- Full-time
Appointment End Date- 31-Dec-2023
Pre-Employment Screening- Education, Identity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more details, click here