The South Dakota Law Review seeks article proposals, speakers, and panel participants for a symposium on issues related to rural lawyers. The Rural Lawyer symposium will be held in Vermillion, South Dakota, on September 21 and 22, 2023.
Abstracts of 300-500 words are due June 16, 2023.
The symposium will focus on rural lawyers. The editors seek articles and speakers that address one or more of the following topics, or other related topics:
- Indigent defense in rural communities
- Conflicts of interest for rural lawyers
- The practice of law in rural areas, including on rural reservations
- Best pedagogical approaches to training future rural lawyers
- The study of rural lawyers as an academic discipline
- Incentive programs for rural lawyers or other rural professionals
- The ten-year anniversary of South Dakota’s Rural Attorney Recruitment Program
- Licensure policies and impact on rural areas
- The viability of small towns
The editors actively seek diverse viewpoints and diverse scholarly approaches. Although the symposium is not a historical or comparative project, the editors welcome articles with historical or comparative features.
In your proposal, please indicate whether you would be interested in (1) publishing your topic, (2) speaking at the symposium, or (3) both. Priority will be given to proposals where the contributor expects to both publish and speak at our in-person event, although we will consider other proposals.
The Call for Papers opens today with abstracts due on June 16, 2023. Please send abstracts to [email protected]. Selected contributors will be notified by July 1, 2023. Finished articles will be due Friday, December 1, 2023. Our editors will work with you over the winter 2023-24 to prepare your work for publication. The symposium volume will be published and released in the summer of 2024.
About the Legal Scholarship Blog
The Legal Scholarship Blog features law-related Calls for Papers, Conferences, and Workshops as well as general legal scholarship resources. If you would like to have an event posted, please contact us at [email protected]