About Panjab University
Panjab University is an Indian collegiate public state university located in Chandigarh. Funded through both State and Union governments, it is considered a state university. It traces its origins to the University of the Punjab in Lahore, which was founded in 1882
The Department of Laws, originally established at Lahore in 1889, was re-established at Shimla in 1948, shifted to Jalandhar in 1950, and finally re-located at the University Campus at Chandigarh in 1959. Its Alumni include Judges of the Supreme Court and High Courts, Union Cabinet Ministers, State Chief Ministers, Cabinet Ministers, Ambassadors, Senior Bureaucrats, Police Officers, and other legal luminaries.
About the Competition
The Department of Laws is going to organize the 3rd Prof. Anil Kumar Thakur Memorial National Debate Competition on October 18, 2023, in the loving memory of Prof. (Dr.) Anil Kumar Thakur. Earlier, the Department successfully organized two editions of the said Competition on the themes “Same Sex Marriages: Rejection or Recognition?” on 10th November 2022 and “Social Media and Right to Privacy” on 15th March 2022.
About the Theme
The Uniform Civil Code refers to the proposition of having a uniform set of personal laws for all citizens of a country, irrespective of their religious or cultural affiliations. The concept of a UCC is rooted in the idea of equality and uniformity before the law and it aims to merge and uniform the personal laws based on religious practices that currently govern matters such as marriage, divorce, inheritance, adoption, and succession. In India people are governed by personal laws but keeping in mind the equality enshrined in the Constitution, whether these laws should be made uniform or not?
The participants are required to debate on the issue from both perspectives in the light of Constitutional provisions and Political scenarios.
- Any undergraduate student from any discipline is eligible to take part in this competition.
- Only one team per university/college/Institute is allowed to take part in the competition.
- Multiple entries from the same University/ college/ Institute shall not be entertained in any case.
- Entry in this event shall be on First cum First Serve Basis.
The medium of communication for this debate shall be English only.
Rules & Regulations
- Each team should comprise two members. A single-member team would be considered as a disqualified team. Only one team per university/college/Institute is allowed to take part in the competition.
- The team should prepare from both sides of the motion. Motion would be assigned to the team prior to the commencement of the round.
- The competition shall comprise three rounds. Only 24 teams shall be considered for the Preliminary Round of the Debate Competition is based on a first come first registered basis.“First Come First Registered” means the first duly completed online registration form along with the payment of the registration fee on or before the last date of online registration i.e., 04.10.2023 till 12:00 PM.
- Out of 24, top top-scoring 12 teams shall advance to the Semi-Final round, and top scoring 02 Teams shall advance to the Final round.
How to Register?
Interested applicants may register through the link provided at the end of the post.
- Registration Fee is INR 800/- per team (without accommodation)
- Registration Fee is INR 1200/- per team (with accommodation).
- A/c Holder Name: Head Deptt of Law Misc
- A/c Number: 10444977656
- Bank: State Bank of India
- IFSC: SBIN00007
- Bank Address: Panjab University, Chandigarh
- Winner Team: Cash Prize of INR 5500/- + Trophy + Certificate
- Runner-Up Team: Cash Prize of INR 2500/- + Trophy + Certificate
- Best Team: Cash Prize of INR 2500/- + Trophy + Certificate
- Best Debater: Cash Prize of INR 1500/- + Trophy + Certificate
- Certificate of Participation shall be given to all the participants who have participated in allocated rounds and have attended the final round.
- Date: 18th October, 2023
- Time: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Venue: Department of Laws, Panjab University, Chandigarh.
- Application Deadline: October 4, 2023
In case of any queries, please write to [email protected] or contact:
- Dr. Manisha Garg (Assistant Professor): +91-9988749884
- Ms. Bhoomika: +91-9814466475
- Mr. Anand Goyal: +91-9417560054