NLSIU invites interested persons to offer Elective Courses at the University in the second trimester (Nov 02, 2023 to January 23, 2024) of the Academic Year 2023-24.
An elective course at NLSIU requires 40 hours of classroom engagement. These courses may be delivered in the following two formats:
- Full Term Elective with 40 hours of classroom engagement spread across 10 weeks (Nov 02, 2023 to January 23, 2024); OR
- Intensive Elective with 40 hours of classroom engagement in the following format:
- Two hours of classes every week from Nov 2, 2023 to December 1, 2023 and December 16, 2023 to January 23, 2024 [20 hours in total] AND
- Two hours of on-campus classes every week-day between December 4 and December 15, 2023 [20 hours of classes]
Elective Courses vary in their focus and pedagogy. Three types of Elective Courses are common at NLSIU:
- Taught Course (predominantly lecture/discussion based, with an exam);
- Research Course (focused on review of primary and secondary research leading to a Term Paper);
- Practice or Clinical Course (focused on field work, simulation, drafting or litigation exercises examined through the clinical methods).
These elective courses may also be delivered in hybrid mode. Hybrid mode means that while most of the classes will be conducted online, Full Time Elective Faculty need to be present on the campus to interact with students for five consecutive days during the term. For Intensive courses, faculty will have to be available on campus for 10 working days (December 4- December 15, 2023) as indicated above. Classes shall be held between 8.50 hours and 19.10 hours on weekdays only.
The University will reimburse economy-class airfare, to-and-fro from Bengaluru and make necessary arrangements for accommodation for individuals selected to teach electives after mutual discussion.
Individuals who are desirous of teaching elective courses at NLSIU must invariably possess a graduate and post-graduate degree in law or the Social Sciences. Post-qualification experience of 3 years or more will be preferred. Alternatively, they may have at least 7-10 years of post-qualification experience in legal practice. Individuals who have published widely in their fields of expertise, shall be preferred.
To apply, kindly fill out the form here. The last date to submit the form is September 15, 2023.
Your proposal shall be reviewed by the Academic Review Committee (ARC) of the University. The course shall be finalised after registration of choices by students. Please note that a course is offered only if it meets: (1) the approval of the ARC, and (2) a minimum number of students as required by the University’s Academic Regulations subscribe for the course.
Here are some FAQs that will help you gain a better understanding of the electives courses and the process for applying to teach these courses. To know more, please click here.
For more details, click here